Monday 16 September 2013

Sandwich Time: Panini without a Press?


Okay so I was in the mood for something cheesy. Well, when am I not? But anyway.
So my cheese cravings lead to a craving for a cheesy, hearty panini.



But I didn't have a panini press. Or good cheese. So when I remembered this post, I decided to make my own faux panini press. And I improvised with the cheese using cheese slices (no judging). Which lead to this sandwich.
It couldn't be simpler - I sauteed some spinach, broccoli and mushrooms and put them between two bread slices with some cheese and garlic butter.
You could use whatever vegetable combination you want but I think greens and mushrooms are the best in this type of sandwich. Next time though, I think I'll add in some corn.... And if you're not a garlic person, unlike me, feel free to omit the garlic in the butter.


Vegetable & Cheese Panini
Ingredients

  • Two slices Bread
  • 1 Cheese Slice
  • 1 teaspoon butter mixed with 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 cup spinach & 4 button mushrooms (or any other vegetables)
  • 1/2 onion 
  • salt, black pepper, oregano, chili flakes
Heat olive oil in a pan. Add onion and sautee until browned.
Add vegetables (if using greens, add a few minutes after the other vegetables)
Add the spices according to taste and mix everything well.
Remove from heat.
Spread the garlic butter on one slice of the bread.
Place the cheese slice on the other.
Spread the vegetables evenly on one of the bread slices and top with the other.
Put the sandwich on a heated pan and place a plate on top. Put something heavy like a mug on top and press down. When the sandwich is browned, remove the plate, flip the sandwich, and repeat with the other side. 
When both sides are toasted and the cheese has melted, remove from the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment